There are no permits for filming on private property in the 12-county Piedmont Triad unless special effects are involved. Permission for the use of city/county property is coordinated through our office. Special requests which involve the alteration or removal of public property, leasing of buildings or parks, stunts, special effects or moving vehicles on public property require a location agreement. These agreements assure the city/county that the production will accept liability for any damages of injuries resulting from the production company’s actions. Permission for filming on state property is coordinated directly through the State Film Office at 919-733-9900.

Special Effects

A special effects permit is required from the city/county Fire Department for scenes involving flame, smoke, explosives or pyrotechnic effects.

Right to Work Laws

North Carolina is a right-to-work state that welcomes both union and non union productions. State law maintains the employment cannot be conditional upon membership in a union.

NC Dept. of Labor and Wage Hour Act

§959-25.5 Youth Employment. a) No youth under 18 years of age shall be employed by any employer in any occupation without a youth employment certificate unless specifically exempted. The Commissioner of Labor shall prescribe regulations for youth and employers concerning the issuance, maintenance and revocation of certificates. Certificates will be issued by county directors of social services, subject to review by the Dept. of Labor; provided, the Commissioner may by regulation require that the Dept. of Labor issue certificates for occupations with unusual or unique characteristics. g) Youths employed as models, or as actors or performers in motion pictures or theatrical productions or in radio or television products are exempt from all provisions of this section except the certificate requirement of subsection (a).

Film Companies should download copies of the Youth Employment Certificate from the North Carolina Deportment of Labor at or call them at 1-800-NC LABOR (1-800-625-2267). Each certificate is to be completed, signed, accompanied by a copy of the youth’s birth certificate, and returned to the North Carolina Department of Labor, Labor Building 4, West Edenton Street, Raleigh, NC 27611.

Additionally, per North Carolina General Statute 48A-14, 15% of a minor’s gross earnings must be set aside by the minor’s employer in trust, in an account other than savings, and preserved for the benefit of the minor.

Film Companies Considering Incorporation as a North Carolina firm or film-related companies seeking business licenses to operate within the state should communicate with the Department of the Secretary of State at 1-800-NCLABOR (1-800-625-2267).

Health & Safety

A safety guidebook is available through a nonprofit Health & Safety advisory group for the motion picture and television industry.

N.C. Motion Picture Health & Safety Advisory Council
1223 North 23rd Street
Wilmington, NC 28405


Transportation coordinators who expect to bring vehicles into North Carolina should contact officials at the State Department of Transportation regarding over-dimensional vehicles 919-733-7154; questions about vehicle registration should be directed to the State Division of Motor Vehicles 919-733-7458; information on fuel and gas permits may be obtained from the State Department of Revenue at 919-733-3409.


The Piedmont Triad enjoys a moderate climate, with an average of 220 clear days each year. The average winter temperatrue is 48 degrees, while the average summer termperature is 75 degrees. Elevation at the Piedmont Triad International Airport is 896’ above sea level.

The average occurrence of frost is October 27, and the average last occurrence in the sprint is April 11. Peak autumn leaf color occurs around the secont to third week of October.